Re: [CORE] Restore-reliability mode - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Sehrope Sarkuni
Subject Re: [CORE] Restore-reliability mode
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Jun 6, 2015 at 6:47 AM, Geoff Winkless <pgsqladmin@geoff.dj> wrote:
> To play devil's advocate for a moment, is there anyone who would genuinely be prepared to download
> and install an alpha release who would not already have downloaded one of the nightlies? I only ask
> because I assume that  releasing an alpha is not zero-developer-cost and I don't believe  that
> there's a large number of people who would be happy to install something that's described as being
> buggy and subject to change but are put off by having to type "configure" and "make".

I fit into that category and I would guess there would be others as
well. Having system packages available via an "apt-get install ..."
lowers the bar significantly to try things out.

As an example, I installed the 9.4 beta as soon as it was available to
run a smoke test and try out some of the new jsonb features. I'll be
doing the same with a 9.5 alpha/beta (or whatever it's called), for
both similar testing and to try out UPSERT.

It's much easier to work into dev/test setups if there are system
packages as it's just a config change to an existing script. Building
from source would require a whole new workflow that I don't have time
to incorporate.

> Further, it seems to me that the number of people who won't roll their own who are useful as bug-finders is even
smaller.

That's probably true but they definitely won't find any bugs if they
don't test at all.

If it's possible to have automated packaging, even for just a subset
of platforms, I think that'd be useful.

Regards,
-- Sehrope Sarkuni
Founder & CEO | JackDB, Inc. | https://www.jackdb.com/