Re: Using Ltree For Hierarchical Structures - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Misa Simic
Subject Re: Using Ltree For Hierarchical Structures
Date
List pgsql-sql

2013/2/26 Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater@gmx.net>
Don Parris wrote on 24.02.2013 23:20:

With many thanks to Misa and others who helped out with my question
about working with hierarchical data, I have now written a blog post
on how I implemented the ltree module to solve my problem.

http://dcparris.net/2013/02/24/using-ltree-hierarchical-postgresql/

Frankly, if you work with hierarchical data, I'm not sure I could
recommend it strongly enough.  I should think that even experienced,
advanced SQL gurus would appreciate the simplicity ltree offers, when
compared to the ugly table designs and recursive queries in order to
work with hierarchical structures.

I really hope this blog post will help others in the same boat.

How do you ensure referential integrity with this approach?
(i.e. make sure that all elements from the path column actually point to an existing category)

Thomas

Hi Thomas,

Yes we met that problem and it further makes deeper problems... i.e. what if  some category in up level - change his parent (updated path field) - path must be changed for all childs...

Of several solutions - we have picked to use the best from both worlds...

So we still use - parent_id column... and ltree is used just as materialized path - to improve performance... I think Materialized Views what comming in 9.3 - (I still havent seen how it works) -  will help in that way - we will see...