Altering Views - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Misa Simic
Subject Altering Views
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

If we want to "add new column" to the view - the only one way (we have found) is:

-drop view
-create it again ( with new column )

Now, if some other view depends on the view we want change - it will not allow us to drop the view - what is fine, of course - but it does not allow us to change it either (add column) even our change has not any effect on other views what depend on this one...

So what we are doing is:

1. Take create scripts of all others views what depends on this one
2. Take create scripts of all others views what depends on any of views in point 1 (recursively)

3. Drop the view (cascaded)

4. Create the view with the new column
5. Run create scripts taken from point 1 and 2...

Lot of hassle - just because of adding one more column to the view...

Is there any better way to alter view without hassle ?

If not - Are there any plans to allow it?

Many Thanks,

Misa