Re: Windows installation problem at post-install step - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ertan Küçükoglu
Subject Re: Windows installation problem at post-install step
Date
List pgsql-general
Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@gmail.com>, 21 Tem 2024 Paz, 23:27 tarihinde şunu yazdı:
I guess this is where EDB installer issues should go:

https://github.com/EnterpriseDB/edb-installers/issues

Thanks. I just added a new issue there.

2.  Some existing database clusters which had been installed with the
name "Turkish_Turkey.1254" became unstartable when the OS upgrade
renamed that locale to "Turkish_Türkiye.1254".  I'm trying to provide
a pathway[2] to fix such systems in core PostgreSQL in the next minor
release.  Everyone affected probably already found another way but at
least next time a country is renamed this might help with the next
point too.

I was also hit by that OS update.
There is a Microsoft tool for creating a locale installer
Using that tool and adding a second locale Turkish_Turkey.1254 (name before Microsoft update) in the OS can fix your broken PostgreSQL.
I believe most people simply choose this path.
There are also several blogs/articles written in Turkish about the problem.

3.  I'd also like to teach initdb to use BCP47 names like "tr-TR"
instead of those names by default (ie if you don't specify a locale
name explicitly), and have proposed that before[3] but it hasn't gone
in due to lack of testing/reviews from Windows users.  It seems like
that doesn't matter much in practice to all the people using the
popular EDB installer, since it apparently takes control of picking
the locale and explicitly passes it in (and screws up the encoding as
we have now learned).

If I am not mistaken BCP47 names are already used in Linux systems.
Using them would make PostgreSQL use the same locale names across Linux and Windows systems.
I can help with the testing part. Let me know the details, please.

Thanks & Regards,
Ertan