Re: Allow single table VACUUM in transaction block - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Rahila Syed
Subject Re: Allow single table VACUUM in transaction block
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi Simon,

On Fri, Nov 4, 2022 at 10:15 AM Rahila Syed <rahilasyed90@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Simon,

On Thu, Nov 3, 2022 at 3:53 PM Simon Riggs <simon.riggs@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
On Tue, 1 Nov 2022 at 23:56, Simon Riggs <simon.riggs@enterprisedb.com> wrote:

> > I haven't checked the rest of the patch, but +1 for allowing VACUUM FULL
> > within a user txn.
>
> My intention was to prevent that. I am certainly quite uneasy about
> changing anything related to CLUSTER/VF, since they are old, complex
> and bug prone.
>
> So for now, I will block VF, as was my original intent.
>
> I will be guided by what others think... so you may yet get your wish.
>

> > Maybe the error message needs to be qualified "...when multiple
> > relations are specified".
> >
> > ERROR:  VACUUM cannot run inside a transaction block
>
> Hmm, that is standard wording based on the statement type, but I can
> set a CONTEXT message also. Will update accordingly.
>
> Thanks for your input.

New version attached, as described.

Other review comments and alternate opinions welcome.

I applied and did some basic testing on the patch, it works as described.

I would like to bring up a few points that I came across while looking into the vacuum code.

1.  As a result of this change to allow VACUUM inside a user transaction, I think there is some chance of causing
a block/delay of concurrent VACUUMs if a VACUUM is being run under a long running transaction.
2. Also, if a user runs VACUUM in a transaction, performance optimizations like PROC_IN_VACUUM won't work.
3. Also, if VACUUM happens towards the end of a long running transaction, the snapshot will be old
and xmin horizon for vacuum would be somewhat old as compared to current lazy vacuum which
acquires a new snapshot just before scanning the table.

So, while I understand the need of the feature, I am wondering if there should be some mention
of above caveats in documentation with the recommendation that VACUUM should be run outside
a transaction, in general.

Sorry, I just noticed that you have already mentioned some of these in the documentation as follows, so it seems
it is already taken care of.

+    <command>VACUUM</command> cannot be executed inside a transaction block,
+    unless a single table is specified and <literal>FULL</literal> is not
+    specified.  When executing inside a transaction block the vacuum scan can
+    hold back the xmin horizon and does not update the database datfrozenxid,
+    as a result this usage is not useful for database maintenance, but is provided
+    to allow vacuuming in special circumstances, such as temporary or private
+    work tables.

Thank you,
Rahila Syed