Re: Surprising behaviour of \set AUTOCOMMIT ON - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Rahila Syed
Subject Re: Surprising behaviour of \set AUTOCOMMIT ON
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Thank you for inputs everyone.

The opinions on this thread can be classified into following
1. Commit
2. Rollback
3. Error
4. Warning

As per opinion upthread, issuing implicit commit immediately after switching autocommit to ON, can be unsafe if it was not desired.  While I agree that its difficult to judge users intention here, but if we were to base it on some assumption, the closest would be implicit COMMIT in my opinion.There is higher likelihood of a user being happy with issuing a commit when setting autocommit ON than a transaction being rolled back.  Also there are quite some interfaces which provide this.

As mentioned upthread, issuing a warning on switching back to autocommit will not be effective inside a script. It won't allow subsequent commands to be committed as set autocommit to ON is not committed. Scripts will have to be rerun with changes which will impact user friendliness.

While I agree that issuing an ERROR and rolling back the transaction ranks higher in safe behaviour, it is not as common (according to instances stated upthread) as immediately committing any open transaction when switching back to autocommit.

Thank you,
Rahila Syed