Re: Replication: GZIP compression in WAL sender/receiver processes communication? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Rahila Syed
Subject Re: Replication: GZIP compression in WAL sender/receiver processes communication?
Date
List pgsql-general
Hello,

Yes, gzip compression can be used for compressing WAL traffic during
streaming replication  Following tools can be used in this regard.
SSL compression-SSL support is built in PostgreSQL. You need to ensure
you have OpenSSL library support in your PostgreSQL installation.
Also, you can compress WAL traffic by setting up SSH tunneling between
master and standby and turn on compression while setting up SSH
tunnel. Following link can be followed for the same.
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/static/ssh-tunnels.html
Ofcourse, these are the solutions outside PostgreSQL.

On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 4:43 AM, Dmitry Koterov <dmitry@koterov.ru> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> Is there a way to compress the traffic between master and slave during the replication?.. The streaming gzip would be
quiteefficient for that.

> (WAL archiving is not too good for this purpose because of high lag. I just need to minimize the cross-datacenter
traffickeeping the replication lag low.)