Re: ECPG bug fix: DECALRE STATEMENT and DEALLOCATE, DESCRIBE - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Geoghegan
Subject Re: ECPG bug fix: DECALRE STATEMENT and DEALLOCATE, DESCRIBE
Date
Re: ECPG bug fix: DECALRE STATEMENT and DEALLOCATE, DESCRIBE  (Michael Meskes <meskes@postgresql.org>)
List pgsql-hackers
Michael,

On Mon, Aug 9, 2021 at 3:03 PM Michael Meskes <meskes@postgresql.org> wrote:
> This explains why it felt so difficult to make myself clear. I was
> feeling exactly the same, just the other way round.

My own special brand of miscommunication was also involved. I happen
to be sensitive to the perception that I yield any authority that I
might have (as an RMT member, as a committer, whatever) in a way that
is arbitrary or unfair. And so I wrote way too much about why that
wasn't actually the case here. I now realize that that wasn't really
relevant.

> I never though that. Maybe we should have quickly talked things out.
> Email tends to be a bad medium for communication, especially when it
> goes wrong. :)

Indeed. That might well have happened if we had been set up for it already.

> I'd like to apologize for not answering your email the way I should
> have. Honestly it never occurred to me. Maybe that's because I'm used
> to other procedures, or because I never had to converse with the RMT,
> or maybe, quite simple, because I lacked the time to think it through,
> the original issue that kind of started this whole mess.

I think that there was a snowballing effect here. We both made
mistakes that compounded. I apologize for my role in this whole mess.

--
Peter Geoghegan