Re: new heapcheck contrib module - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Geoghegan
Subject Re: new heapcheck contrib module
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Apr 20, 2020 at 11:19 AM Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> I wondered if people would suggest that. Didn't take long.

You were the one that pointed out that my first version of
contrib/amcheck, which was called "contrib/btreecheck", should have
a more general name. And rightly so!

The basic interface used for the heap checker functions seem very
similar to what amcheck already offers for B-Tree indexes, so it seems
very natural to distribute them together.

IMV, the problem that we have with amcheck is that it's too hard to
use in a top down kind of way. Perhaps there is an opportunity to
provide a more top-down interface to an expanded version of amcheck
that does heap checking. Something with a high level practical focus,
in addition to the low level functions. I'm not saying that Mark
should be required to solve that problem, but it certainly seems worth
considering now.

> The documentation would need some updating, but that's doable.

It would also probably need a bit of renaming, so that analogous
function names are used.

--
Peter Geoghegan