Re: [GENERAL] gin index trouble - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Peter Geoghegan
Subject Re: [GENERAL] gin index trouble
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Oct 30, 2017 at 7:35 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Rob Sargent <rsargent@xmission.com> writes:
>> I’ve hit this same message
>> Caused by: org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: ERROR: right sibling of GIN page is of different type
>> in a couple of contexts and I’m starting to get worried.
>
> If you can make a test case that (eventually) hits that, we'd be
> interested to see it ...

I suspect that this is the 9.6 bug that I described on that recent
-bugs thread [1]. It's just another symptom of the same problem.

It's certainly true that we saw a mix of undetectable
deadlocks/lock-ups (as seen on that -bugs thread) and corruption (as
seen on this thread) before commit e2c79e14 tried to address those
problems. Jeff Janes reported both symptoms in the thread leading up
to that commit during the beta period for 9.6. My guess is that that
commit was insufficient, and that we now continue to see the same mix
of symptoms for what is essentially the same bug.

[1] https://postgr.es/m/CAH2-WzmtLXbs8+c19t1T=Rj0KyP7vK9q8hQJULgDLdVMuEeeUw@mail.gmail.com
--
Peter Geoghegan