Re: Corruption with IMMUTABLE functions in index expression. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Geoghegan
Subject Re: Corruption with IMMUTABLE functions in index expression.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Oct 11, 2021 at 9:27 AM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Yeah.  What is happening is that the function's SELECT on the subject
> table is trying to examine the not-yet-valid new index.  While that could
> be argued to be a bug, I share David's lack of interest in fixing it,
> because I do not believe that there are any cases where a function that
> accesses an index's subject table is really going to be immutable.

Right. It might be different if this was something that users
sometimes expect will work, based on some plausible-though-wrong
understanding of expression indexes. But experience suggests that they
don't.

--
Peter Geoghegan