Re: wrong shell trap - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Geoghegan
Subject Re: wrong shell trap
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Sep 13, 2022 at 2:01 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> > AFAICT almost all of our shell scripts contain the same mistake.  I
> > propose to fix them all as in the attached demo patch, which makes
> > headerscheck exit properly (no silly noise) when interrupted.
>
> Sounds like a good idea.

Might not be a bad idea to run shellcheck against the scripts, to see
if that highlights anything.

I've found that shellcheck makes working with shell scripts less
terrible, especially when portability is a concern. It can be used to
enforce consistent coding standards that seem pretty well thought out.
It will sometimes produce dubious warnings, of course, but it tends to
mostly have the right idea, most of the time.

--
Peter Geoghegan