Re: New IndexAM API controlling index vacuum strategies - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Geoghegan
Subject Re: New IndexAM API controlling index vacuum strategies
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jan 19, 2021 at 4:45 PM Peter Geoghegan <pg@bowt.ie> wrote:
> BTW, I think that increasing MaxHeapTuplesPerPage will make it
> necessary to consider tidbitmap.c. Comments at the top of that file
> say that it is assumed that MaxHeapTuplesPerPage is about 256. So
> there is a risk of introducing performance regressions affecting
> bitmap scans here.

More concretely, WORDS_PER_PAGE increases from 5 on the master branch
to 16 with the latest version of the patch series on most platforms
(while WORDS_PER_CHUNK is 4 with or without the patches).

--
Peter Geoghegan