Re: Add pg_walinspect function with block info columns - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Geoghegan
Subject Re: Add pg_walinspect function with block info columns
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Mar 27, 2023 at 7:47 PM Bharath Rupireddy
> Hm, agreed. Changed in the attached v7-0002 patch. We can as well
> write a case statement in the create function SQL to output forkname
> instead forknumber, but I'd stop doing that to keep in sync with
> pg_buffercache.

I just don't see much value in any textual representation of fork
name, however generated. In practice it's just not adding very much
useful information. It is mostly useful as a way of filtering block
references, which makes simple integers more natural.

> Oh, thanks for finding it out. Fixed in the attached v7-0001 patch. I
> also removed the "invalid fork number" error as users can figure that
> out if at all the fork number is wrong.

Pushed just now.

> On the ordering of the columns, I kept start_lsn, end_lsn and prev_lsn
> first and then the rel** columns (this rel** columns order follows
> pg_buffercache) and then block data related columns. Michael and
> Kyotaro are of the opinion that it's better to keep LSNs first to be
> consistent and also given that this function is WAL related, it makes
> sense to have LSNs first.

Right, but I didn't change that part in the revision of the patch I
posted. Those columns still came first, and were totally consistent
with the pg_get_wal_record_info function.

I think that there was a "mid air collision" here, where we both
posted patches that we each called v7 within minutes of each other.
Just to be clear, I ended up with a column order as described here in
my revision:

https://postgr.es/m/CAH2-WzmzO-AU4QSbnzzANBkrpg=4CuOd3scVtv+7x65e+QKBZw@mail.gmail.com

It now occurs to me that "fpi_data" should perhaps be called
"block_fpi_data".  What do you think?

--
Peter Geoghegan