Re: PANIC: wrong buffer passed to visibilitymap_clear - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Geoghegan
Subject Re: PANIC: wrong buffer passed to visibilitymap_clear
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Apr 9, 2021 at 3:40 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Buildfarm members spurfowl[1] and thorntail[2] have each shown $SUBJECT
> once in the past two days.  The circumstances are not quite the same;
> spurfowl's failure is in autovacuum while thorntail's is in a manual
> VACUUM command.  Still, it seems clear that there's a recently-introduced
> bug here somewhere.  I don't see any obvious candidate for the culprit,
> though.  Any ideas?

They're both VACUUM ANALYZE. They must be, because the calls to
visibilitymap_clear PANIC (they don't ERROR) -- the failing
visibilitymap_clear() call must occur inside a critical section, and
all such calls are made within heapam.c (only VACUUM ANALYZE uses a
transaction and does writes). It cannot be the two calls to
visibilitymap_clear() inside vacuumlazy.c.

I suspect that you've figured this much already. Just pointing it out.

--
Peter Geoghegan