Re: Is custom MemoryContext prohibited? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Geoghegan
Subject Re: Is custom MemoryContext prohibited?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jan 28, 2020 at 10:09 AM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> No.  No.  Just NO.  (A) that's overly complex for developers to use,
> and (B) you have far too much faith in the debugger producing something
> useful.  (My experience is that it'll fail to render function pointers
> legibly on an awful lot of platforms.)  Plus, you won't actually save
> any space by removing both of those fields.

FWIW, I noticed that GDB becomes much better at this when you add "set
print symbol on" to your .gdbinit dot file about a year ago. In theory
you shouldn't need to do that to print the symbol that a function
pointer points to, I think. At least that's what the documentation
says. But in practice this seems to help a lot.

I don't recall figuring out a reason for this. Could have been due to
GDB being fussier about the declared type of a pointer than it needs
to be, or something along those lines.

--
Peter Geoghegan