Re: Big performance slowdown from 11.2 to 13.3 - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Peter Geoghegan
Subject Re: Big performance slowdown from 11.2 to 13.3
Date
RE: Big performance slowdown from 11.2 to 13.3  ("ldh@laurent-hasson.com" <ldh@laurent-hasson.com>)
List pgsql-performance
On Thu, Jul 22, 2021 at 9:53 AM Peter Geoghegan <pg@bowt.ie> wrote:
> I suspect David's theory about hash_agg_set_limits()'s ngroup limit is
> correct. It certainly seems like a good starting point.

I also suspect that if Laurent set work_mem and/or hash_mem_multiplier
*extremely* aggressively, then eventually the hash agg would be
in-memory. And without actually using all that much memory.

I'm not suggesting that that is a sensible resolution to Laurent's
complaint. I'm just pointing out that it's probably not fundamentally
impossible to make the hash agg avoid spilling through tuning these
GUCs. At least I see no evidence of that right now.

--
Peter Geoghegan