Re: Lowering the ever-growing heap->pd_lower - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Geoghegan
Subject Re: Lowering the ever-growing heap->pd_lower
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Apr 8, 2022 at 4:38 AM Matthias van de Meent
<boekewurm+postgres@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yeah, I think we should definately support more line pointers on a
> heap page, but abusing MaxHeapTuplesPerPage for that is misleading:
> the current value is the physical limit for heap tuples, as we have at
> most 1 heap tuple per line pointer and thus the MaxHeapTuplesPerPage
> won't change. A macro MaxHeapLinePointersPerPage would probably be
> more useful, which could be as follows (assuming we don't want to
> allow filling a page with effectively only dead line pointers):

That's a good point. Sounds like it might be the right approach.

I suppose that it will depend on how much use of MaxHeapTuplesPerPage
remains once it is split in two like this.

--
Peter Geoghegan