Re: [GENERAL] PG-10 + ICU and abbreviated keys - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Peter Geoghegan
Subject Re: [GENERAL] PG-10 + ICU and abbreviated keys
Date
Re: [GENERAL] PG-10 + ICU and abbreviated keys
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Nov 13, 2017 at 11:48 AM, Andreas Joseph Krogh
<andreas@visena.com> wrote:
> Ok, so I have to explicitly specify like this:
>
> create table test(id serial primary key, name varchar collate "nb_NO" not null);

That doesn't look like an ICU locale. You may mean "nb-NO-x-icu". But
otherwise, yes.

> Will ICU be used here as long as PG is compiled with ICU-suppoert, as the debian-packages are, or do I have to
specifycollation-provider?

If you did initdb with a version with ICU support, the ICU collations
should be there.

> Do I have to explicitly specify collation when using ORDER by on that column for index and abbreviated keys to be
used?

Only if you didn't define the column with a per-column collation initially.

--
Peter Geoghegan