Re: Making all nbtree entries unique by having heap TIDs participatein comparisons - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Geoghegan
Subject Re: Making all nbtree entries unique by having heap TIDs participatein comparisons
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Oct 18, 2018 at 1:44 PM Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
> I wonder if it'd make sense to hack up a patch that logs when evicting a
> buffer while already holding another lwlock. That shouldn't be too hard.

I tried this. It looks like we're calling FlushBuffer() with more than
a single LWLock held (not just the single buffer lock) somewhat *less*
with the patch. This is a positive sign for the patch, but also means
that I'm no closer to figuring out what's going on.

I tested a case with a 1GB shared_buffers + a TPC-C database sized at
about 10GB. I didn't want the extra LOG instrumentation to influence
the outcome.

--
Peter Geoghegan