Re: log_autovacuum in Postgres 14 -- ordering issue - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Geoghegan
Subject Re: log_autovacuum in Postgres 14 -- ordering issue
Date
Re: log_autovacuum in Postgres 14 -- ordering issue  (Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Aug 25, 2021 at 11:42 AM Nikolay Samokhvalov
<samokhvalov@gmail.com> wrote:
> The last two lines are also "*** usage" -- shouldn't the buffer numbers be next to them?

I agree that that would be better still -- but all the "usage" stuff
together in one block.

And that leads me to another observation: The track_io_timing stuff
(also new to Postgres 14) might also need to be reordered. And maybe
even the WAL usage stuff, which was added in Postgres 13.

That way the overall structure starts with details of the physical
data structures (the table and its indexes), then goes into buffers

1. Heap pages
2. Heap tuples
3. Index stuff
4. I/O timings (only when track_io_timing is on)
5. avg read rate (always)
6. buffer usage
7. WAL usage.
8. system usage

This would mean that I'd be flipping the order of 7 and 8 relative to
Postgres 13 -- meaning there'd be one difference between Postgres 14
and some existing stable release. But I think that putting WAL usage
last of all (after system usage) makes little sense -- commit
b7ce6de93b shouldn't have done it that way. I always expect to see the
getrusage() stuff last.

--
Peter Geoghegan