Re: Potential G2-item cycles under serializable isolation - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Peter Geoghegan
Subject Re: Potential G2-item cycles under serializable isolation
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Hi Kyle,

On Sun, May 31, 2020 at 9:05 PM Kyle Kingsbury <aphyr@jepsen.io> wrote:
> Oh! Gosh, yes, that DOES explain it. Somehow I had it in my head that both RU and RC mapped to SI, and RR &
Serializablemapped to SSI. That's the case in YugabyteDB, but not here!

It's confusing because the standard only requires that the isolation
levels avoid certain read phenomena, but implementations are free to
go above and beyond. For example, you can ask Postgres for  READ
UNCOMMITTED, but you'll get READ COMMITTED. (So RC, RR, and SI each
provide distinct behavior.)

> I'll also see about getting a version of these tests that doesn't involve ON CONFLICT, in case that's relevant.

That would be great. It could easily be relevant.

Thanks
--
Peter Geoghegan