Re: Packages, inner subprograms, and parameterizable anonymous blocks for PL/pgSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Peter Geoghegan
Subject Re: Packages, inner subprograms, and parameterizable anonymous blocks for PL/pgSQL
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Dec 16, 2021 at 11:22 AM Bryn Llewellyn <bryn@yugabyte.com> wrote:
> The advantages are self-evident to these programmers; and their lack comes as a shocking disappointment when they
startto write application code for PostgreSQL*. The absence of packages and inner subprograms is huge.

Why are those things huge? It's not self-evident to me. I can only
speak for myself, but throwing around terms like "shocking
disappointment" is never going to convince me of anything. You can
make similar statements about many other things.

Any functionality that gets added to PostgreSQL should ideally be
compelling to users that have not worked with Oracle in the past.
Maybe that happens to result in a feature that very much looks like
what you already have in mind, or maybe there are significant
differences. If you're not going to meet others closer to where they
are, then how can you expect it for yourself?

--
Peter Geoghegan