Re: [pgsql-pkg-debian] amcheck packages - Mailing list pgsql-pkg-debian

From Peter Geoghegan
Subject Re: [pgsql-pkg-debian] amcheck packages
Date
List pgsql-pkg-debian
On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 9:35 AM, Christoph Berg <myon@debian.org> wrote:
>> The .so file would also need renaming, btw...
>
> Fwiw, on the dpkg side, another way out of the situation would be to
> dpkg-divert the files away. Given that both packages provide the same
> functionality, just different versions, that might be a nice way to
> handle the problem.
>
> Just renaming everything might be easier to handle, though.

I'm definitely going to just rename everything. The extension will be
renamed amcheck-next (the .so file will not conflict either), and the
C symbols will also be appended with a disambiguating "_next" (no
change in SQL function signature, though). I think that the safest,
simplest way to handle everything is to make sure that this version of
amcheck is formally a different extension to the contrib one. There is
no room for ambiguity about that; not in user-facing aspects, and
especially not in technical aspects.

I'm working through a particularly nasty bug on -hackers right now,
but this will bubble to the top of my agenda very soon. I want to have
a version that has parity with the one in contrib ASAP, which is
installable on Postgres 10 (but not really worth installing on that
version). Shortly thereafter, within the next few weeks, I would like
to make available a version that has the enhanced heap checking
functionality. That seems to add significant value, particularly when
it comes to detecting data corruption from known bugs, like the
various MultiXact bugs we've had over the past few years, and the
CREATE INDEX CONCURRENTLY bug we identified earlier this year.

My next step will be to create a "whole new extension" release, that
isn't upgradable from earlier versions (just create a new extension).
I'm going to copy your approach with extensions like "unit". That
seems like the least confusing. I'll work on a pg10-contrib parity
version that I'll ask you to accept into the pgdg repo in the next
couple of days, or possibly early next week.

Thanks!
--
Peter Geoghegan