Re: HOT chain validation in verify_heapam() - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Geoghegan
Subject Re: HOT chain validation in verify_heapam()
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Nov 9, 2022 at 5:46 PM Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
> > Putting all 3 together: doesn't it seem quite likely that the way that
> > we compute OldestXmin is the factor that prevents "skewering" of an
> > update chain? What else could possibly be preventing corruption here?
> > (Theoretically it might never have been discovered, but that seems
> > pretty hard to believe.)
>
> I don't see how that follows. The existing code is just ok with that.

My remarks about "3 facts we agree on" were not intended to be a
watertight argument. More like: what else could it possibly be that
prevents problems in practice, if not *something* to do with how we
compute OldestXmin?

Leaving aside the specifics of how OldestXmin is computed for a
moment: what alternative explanation is even remotely plausible? There
just aren't that many moving parts involved here. The idea that we can
ever freeze the xmin of a successor tuple/version from an update chain
without also pruning away earlier versions of the same chain is wildly
implausible. It sounds totally contradictory.

> In fact
> we have explicit code trying to exploit this:
>
>                 /*
>                  * If the DEAD tuple is at the end of the chain, the entire chain is
>                  * dead and the root line pointer can be marked dead.  Otherwise just
>                  * redirect the root to the correct chain member.
>                  */
>                 if (i >= nchain)
>                         heap_prune_record_dead(prstate, rootoffnum);
>                 else
>                         heap_prune_record_redirect(prstate, rootoffnum, chainitems[i]);

I don't see why this code is relevant.

--
Peter Geoghegan