Re: do only critical work during single-user vacuum? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Geoghegan
Subject Re: do only critical work during single-user vacuum?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Feb 16, 2022 at 6:56 PM Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think that's not really what is happening, at least not in the cases
> that typically are brought to my attention. In those cases, the
> typical pattern is:

> 5. None of the tables in the database have been vacuumed in a long
> time. There are a million XIDs left. How many of the tables in the
> database are going to be truncate when they are vacuumed and burn one
> of the remaining XIDs? Anybody's guess, could be all or none.

I have to admit that this sounds way more plausible than my
speculative scenario. I haven't been involved in any kind of support
case with a customer in a *long* time, though (not by choice, mind
you).

> 6. Sometimes the user decides to run VACUUM FULL instead of plain
> VACUUM because it sounds better.

It's a pity that the name suggests otherwise. If only we'd named it
something that suggests "option of last resort". Oh well.

--
Peter Geoghegan