Re: pgsql: Add per-index stats information in verbose logs of autovacuum - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Peter Geoghegan
Subject Re: pgsql: Add per-index stats information in verbose logs of autovacuum
Date
List pgsql-committers
On Mon, Mar 22, 2021 at 11:22 PM Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> wrote:
> > To be clear, I agree that it would not be sensible to make the
> > log_autovacuum_min_duration output 100% consistent with VACUUM
> > VERBOSE. I just think that "%u remain" is misleading. It's just that
> > one detail.
>
> Saying that, I like your suggestion of using "total" or "in total"
> instead of "remain" for the first item.

I'm okay with preserving "pages:" if you prefer it that way. It's
really just the word "remain" -- it reminds me of the old
"pages_removed" field. That used to be a thing that we showed back
when old-style VACUUM existed and could shrink the index -- this is of
course no longer possible.

The message should clearly convey that the first number shown is
simply the total size of the index.

--
Peter Geoghegan