Re: amcheck eating most of the runtime with wal_consistency_checking - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Geoghegan
Subject Re: amcheck eating most of the runtime with wal_consistency_checking
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Apr 19, 2021 at 7:50 PM Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> wrote:
> While testing wal_consistency_checking, I have noticed that by far
> most of the runtime is spent within the regression test check_btree on
> the series of three queries inserting each 100k tuples.  This also
> eats most of the run time of the test on HEAD.  Could we for example
> consider inserting less tuples with a lower fillfactor to reduce the
> runtime of the test without impacting its coverage in a meaningful
> way?

I don't see much point. wal_consistency_checking is intrinsically a
tool that increases the volume of WAL by a large multiple. Plus you
yourself only run it once a year.

I run it much more often than once a year (maybe once every 2 - 3
months), but I haven't noticed this at all.

--
Peter Geoghegan