Re: Making C function declaration parameter names consistent with corresponding definition names - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Geoghegan
Subject Re: Making C function declaration parameter names consistent with corresponding definition names
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Sep 17, 2022 at 11:36 AM Peter Geoghegan <pg@bowt.ie> wrote:
> I'd be surprised if this created more than 3 minutes of extra work for
> you when updating the timezone code.

Attached revision adds a new, third patch. This fixes all the warnings
from clang-tidy's "readability-named-parameter" check. The extent of
the code churn seems acceptable to me.

BTW. there are just a couple of remaining unfixed
"readability-inconsistent-declaration-parameter-name" warnings --
legitimately tricky cases. These are related to simplehash.h client
code, where we use the C preprocessor to simulate C++ templates
(Bjarne strikes again). It would be possible to suppress the warnings
by making the client code use matching generic function-style
parameter names, but that doesn't seem like an improvement.

If we're going to adapt a project policy around parameter names, then
we'll need a workaround -- probably just by suppressing a handful of
tricky warnings. For now my focus is cleaning things up on HEAD.

--
Peter Geoghegan

Attachment