Re: [HACKERS] Parallel tuplesort (for parallel B-Tree index creation) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Geoghegan
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Parallel tuplesort (for parallel B-Tree index creation)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jan 8, 2018 at 9:44 PM, Rushabh Lathia <rushabh.lathia@gmail.com> wrote:
> I gone through the changes and perform the basic testing. Changes
> looks good and haven't found any unusual during testing

Then I'll mark the patch "Ready for Committer" now. I think that we've
done just about all we can with it.

There is one lingering concern that I cannot shake, which stems from
the fact that the cost model (plan_create_index_workers()) follows the
same generic logic for adding workers as parallel sequential scan, per
Robert's feedback from around March of last year (that is, we more or
less just reuse compute_parallel_worker()). My specific concern is
that this approach may be too aggressive in situations where a
parallel external sort ends up being used instead of a serial internal
sort. No weight is given to any extra temp file costs; a serial
external sort is, in a sense, the baseline, including in cases where
the table is very small and an external sort can actually easily be
avoided iff we do a serial sort.

This is probably not worth doing anything about. The distinction
between internal and external sorts became rather blurred in 9.6 and
10, which, in a way, this patch builds on. If what I describe is a
problem at all, it will very probably only be a problem on small
CREATE INDEX operations, where linear sequential I/O costs are not
already dwarfed by the linearithmic CPU costs. (The dominance of
CPU/comparison costs on larger sorts is the main reason why external
sorts can be faster than internal sorts -- this happens fairly
frequently these days, especially with CREATE INDEX, where being able
to write out the index as it merges on-the-fly helps a lot.)

--
Peter Geoghegan