Re: New strategies for freezing, advancing relfrozenxid early - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Geoghegan
Subject Re: New strategies for freezing, advancing relfrozenxid early
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Dec 21, 2022 at 4:30 PM Jeff Davis <pgsql@j-davis.com> wrote:
> The confusing thing to me is perhaps just the name -- to me,
> "freeze_required" suggests that if it were set to true, it would cause
> freezing to happen. But as far as I can tell, it does not cause
> freezing to happen, it causes some other things to happen that are
> necessary when freezing happens (updating and using the right
> trackers).

freeze_required is about what's required, which tells us nothing about
what will happen when it's not required (could go either way,
depending on how lazy_scan_prune feels about it).

Setting freeze_required=true implies that heap_prepare_freeze_tuple
has stopped doing maintenance of the "no freeze" trackers. When it
sets freeze_required=true, it really *does* force freezing to happen,
in every practical sense. This happens because lazy_scan_prune does
what it's told to do when it's told that freezing is required. Because
of course it does, why wouldn't it?

So...I still don't get what you mean. Why would lazy_scan_prune ever
break its contract with heap_prepare_freeze_tuple? And in what sense
would you say that heap_prepare_freeze_tuple's setting
freeze_required=true doesn't quite amount to "forcing freezing"? Are
you worried about the possibility that lazy_scan_prune will decide to
rebel at some point, and fail to honor its contract with
heap_prepare_freeze_tuple?  :-)

> A minor point, no need to take action here. Perhaps rename the
> variable.

Andres was the one that suggested this name, actually. I initially
just called it "freeze", but I think that Andres had it right.

> I think 0001+0002 are about ready.

Great. I plan on committing 0001 in the next few days. Committing 0002
might take a bit longer.

Thanks
--
Peter Geoghegan