Re: [HACKERS] ICU integration - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Geoghegan
Subject Re: [HACKERS] ICU integration
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Feb 20, 2017 at 2:38 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> I can't think of any cases where we warn of possible corruption only in
> the server logs.

It's just like any case where there was a bug in Postgres that could
have subtly broken index builds. We don't make the next point release
force users to REINDEX every possibly-affected index every time that
happens. Presumably this is because they aren't particularly likely to
be affected by any given bug, and because it's pretty infeasible for
us to do so anyway. There aren't always easy ways to detect the
problem, and users will never learn to deal with issues like this well
when it is by definition something that should never happen.

--
Peter Geoghegan