Re: Postgresql allow connections without password [SOLVED] - Mailing list pgsql-general

From debian nick
Subject Re: Postgresql allow connections without password [SOLVED]
Date
List pgsql-general
Thanks raymond, you were right, i never think that psql was using .pgpass file. When a delete it psql ask me for the password.
THANKS I’ll never figure that out.

2012/1/13 Raymond O'Donnell <rod@iol.ie>
On 12/01/2012 05:16, debian nick wrote:
> I have postgresql 8.4.9 installed now, my problem is that from time to
> time my postgresql let psql version 8.4.9 access the database without
> asking for password (psql -d mydatabase -h myhost -U myuser), and the
> connection attempts from psql 8.3 are not allowed no matter what i got
> time out exceptions from psql 8.3.
> The first time that happen to my i have installed postgresql 8.3, so i
> think that because i upgrade my system and not postgres (i upgrade from
> debian lenny (5) to squeeze (6)) that was the problem, so i installed
> 8.4.9 and with pg_dumpall i restore all my databases. And the problem
> was solved. Postgresql ask for passwords no matter from where i try to
> connect.
> And now a month later i have the same problem with 8.4.9. After various
> restart, stop and start the problem disappear, and 3 hours later it came
> back.

Do you have pgAdmin on the same (client) machine? pgAdmin stores
passwords in the .pgpass file (though it asks you first, and also warns
about clear-text password) which could possibly explain this
intermittent behaviour.

Ray.

--
Raymond O'Donnell :: Galway :: Ireland