Re: Replication terminated due to PANIC - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adarsh Sharma
Subject Re: Replication terminated due to PANIC
Date
List pgsql-general
Sorry my bad , didn't mention the full DB version :
9.2.4.8 on x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, compiled by gcc (GCC) 4.1.2 20080704 (Red Hat 4.1.2-52), 64-bit
Apart from these i am happy to inform , the issue is fixed now. Actually there are two Slave set up's on the standby box on different ports and are two stale processes ( logger and writer ) that are running with different parent id's on the box. After killing the processes and reloading conf file, db server is replaying logs properly.
@Andres : No the directory doesn't exist on master but exists on the other standby.

@Lonni , i was guessing because of the below message in the logs:-
_bt_restore_page: cannot add item to page

http://en.verysource.com/code/5191515_1/nbtxlog.c.html
Yes we faced H/w issues in master and we flip to slave and setup a new SR in which we are facing this issue.

Still don't know why this PANIC message came. Anywaz thanks u all for giving your crucial time into it.

Thanks

On 2013-04-24 19:44:25 -0700, Sergey Konoplev wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 5:05 PM, Adarsh Sharma <eddy.adarsh@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I have a Postgresql 9.2 instance running on a CentOS6.3 box.Yesterday i
> > setup a hot standby by using pgbasebackup. Today i got the below  alert from
> > standby box :
> >
> > [1] (from line 412,723)
> > 2013-04-24 23:07:18 UTC [13445]: [6-1] user= db= host= PANIC:
> > _bt_restore_page: cannot add item to page
> >
> > When i check, the replication is terminated due to slave DB shutdown. From
> > the logs i can see below messages :-

Does the global/14078 file exist on the primary? What exact commandline
were you using to restore? Which exact version of postgres?

> I am not sure that it is your situation but take a look at this thread:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAL_0b1t=WuM6roO8dki=w8DhH8P8whhohbPjReymmQUrOcNT2A@mail.gmail.com
>
> There is a patch by Andres Freund in the end of the discussion.

The issues don't look related.

> Three
> weeks have passed after I installed the patched version and it looks
> like the patch fixed my issue.

Oh, cool! Thanks for verifying.

Greetings,

Andres Freund