Re: Running update in chunks? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tim Uckun
Subject Re: Running update in chunks?
Date
Re: Running update in chunks?  (Albe Laurenz <laurenz.albe@wien.gv.at>)
Re: Running update in chunks?  (Jeff Janes <jeff.janes@gmail.com>)
Re: Running update in chunks?  (Albe Laurenz <laurenz.albe@wien.gv.at>)
Re: Running update in chunks?  (Richard Huxton <dev@archonet.com>)
List pgsql-general

> That suggests (to me, at least) that it is related to index updating. Again,
> your GIN index seems primary candidate.
>
> Try running iostat (I think that's available on a Mac) with/without the
> fillfactor and with/without the GIN index while you do the updates. It's
> possible your SSD is just behaving oddly under stress.

I dropped the index and the numbers shot up tenfold or more.  I don't
know why postgres feels the need to update the GIN index on the hstore
field when I am only updating an integer field but it looks like I
need to split the hstore into a different table.