Re: Power8 Tests - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From julyanto SUTANDANG
Subject Re: Power8 Tests
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Dear All,

A couple week ago, We have done benchmarking in Power8 Servers, and having great result, for example, in Robert Haas tests, using 2x8 Core Power7 resulted in 325.000 query per sec (SELECT ONLY)
we test 1x10core Power8 resulted 342.000 query per sec. For NOPM HammedDB resulted also very well, but we don't have any comparison other than in TPC.Org, roughly we can achieve no 4 on that list (PostgreSQL and IBM Power8).

we compile it using IBM Advanced Toolchain, and resulted very well.

Now we are compiling the report, after reviewed by IBM, then we will share it to all of us.

Thanks and Regards,

On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 3:28 PM, Sameer Kumar <sameer.kumar@ashnik.com> wrote:

On Mon, Feb 9, 2015 at 11:01 AM, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
On Mon, Feb 9, 2015 at 1:23 AM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

> On 02/06/2015 09:55 PM, julyanto SUTANDANG wrote:
> > Dear All,
> >
> > Start from today until next 10 days, we have been given access to IBM's
> > Power8 Machines to test the PostgreSQL.

Good to know about this information.

> > We are planning to test using pgBench and HammerDB, anyone which
> > interest in this task, please reply me and i will share the test plan and
> > we are open for any discussion I am open to any ideas on how we are
> > going to test.

Which PostgreSQL version are you planing to use for your tests?
Sometime back, I have done the performance test for read-write pgbench
on Power8 m/c and came to know that scalability is not good.
I am interested to see your tests results especially of HammerDB.

​I was working with IBM
​Machines
 on some benchmarks and it​ seam
​ed
 one would need IBM's compiler for Power Platform for more optimal code compilation for Power platform.
​
I had tried to compile the Postgres code using the same but had not
been successful because some dependencies.

The benchmarks I did were using HammerDB and I too had not got very encouraging results. But that was on Power 7 and an older version of Postgres (9.2). Power 8 is supposed to be much more efficient.​
​​
> > IBM claim that Power8 runs almost 1.6 faster than Power7 and with
> > 8HT per core, that would be great advantages for databases like
> > PostgreSQL to run faster and better. Each Core has 3.6 Ghz Clock
> > speed.

Yeah, in all my tests I have seen considerable difference of TPS between
Power7 and Power8 m/c (Power8 is better), so testing on Power8 makes
sense.

​We had tried some Linux and PowerVM level optimizations which had helped​ in general.
I would be interested to see how your tests come out.

> Synchronize with Amit, since he's already been doing some testing.

Thank you.

Best Regards,

Sameer Kumar | Database Consultant

ASHNIK PTE. LTD.

101 Cecil Street, #11-11 Tong Eng Building, Singapore 069533

M: +65 8110 0350  T: +65 6438 3504 | www.ashnik.com

icons

Email patch

This email may contain confidential, privileged or copyright material and is solely for the use of the intended recipient(s).

--

Julyanto SUTANDANG

Equnix Business Solutions, PT
(An Open Source an Open Mind Company)

Pusat Niaga ITC Roxy Mas Blok C2/42.  Jl. KH Hasyim Ashari 125, Jakarta Pusat
T: +6221 7997 692 F: +62216315281 M: +628164858028

Caution: The information enclosed in this email (and any attachments) may be legally privileged and/or confidential and is intended only for the use of the addressee(s). No addressee should forward, print, copy, or otherwise reproduce this message in any manner that would allow it to be viewed by any individual not originally listed as a recipient. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any unauthorized disclosure, dissemination, distribution, copying or the taking of any action in reliance on the information herein is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete this message.Unless it is made by the authorized person, any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and may not necessarily reflect the views of PT Equnix Business Solutions.
Attachment