Re: Power8 Tests - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Sameer Kumar
Subject Re: Power8 Tests
Date
List pgsql-advocacy

On Mon, Feb 9, 2015 at 11:01 AM, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
On Mon, Feb 9, 2015 at 1:23 AM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

> On 02/06/2015 09:55 PM, julyanto SUTANDANG wrote:
> > Dear All,
> >
> > Start from today until next 10 days, we have been given access to IBM's
> > Power8 Machines to test the PostgreSQL.

Good to know about this information.

> > We are planning to test using pgBench and HammerDB, anyone which
> > interest in this task, please reply me and i will share the test plan and
> > we are open for any discussion I am open to any ideas on how we are
> > going to test.

Which PostgreSQL version are you planing to use for your tests?
Sometime back, I have done the performance test for read-write pgbench
on Power8 m/c and came to know that scalability is not good.
I am interested to see your tests results especially of HammerDB.

​I was working with IBM
​Machines
 on some benchmarks and it​ seam
​ed
 one would need IBM's compiler for Power Platform for more optimal code compilation for Power platform.
​
I had tried to compile the Postgres code using the same but had not
been successful because some dependencies.

The benchmarks I did were using HammerDB and I too had not got very encouraging results. But that was on Power 7 and an older version of Postgres (9.2). Power 8 is supposed to be much more efficient.​
​​
> > IBM claim that Power8 runs almost 1.6 faster than Power7 and with
> > 8HT per core, that would be great advantages for databases like
> > PostgreSQL to run faster and better. Each Core has 3.6 Ghz Clock
> > speed.

Yeah, in all my tests I have seen considerable difference of TPS between
Power7 and Power8 m/c (Power8 is better), so testing on Power8 makes
sense.

​We had tried some Linux and PowerVM level optimizations which had helped​ in general.
I would be interested to see how your tests come out.

> Synchronize with Amit, since he's already been doing some testing.

Thank you.

Best Regards,

Sameer Kumar | Database Consultant

ASHNIK PTE. LTD.

101 Cecil Street, #11-11 Tong Eng Building, Singapore 069533

M: +65 8110 0350  T: +65 6438 3504 | www.ashnik.com

icons

Email patch

This email may contain confidential, privileged or copyright material and is solely for the use of the intended recipient(s).

Attachment