XML element with special characters can be created, serialized, but not deserialized - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Sergiu Ignat
Subject XML element with special characters can be created, serialized, but not deserialized
Date
List pgsql-bugs

Hello,

I am using PostgreSQL 13.8 and I think that I found an issue with XML serialization and deserialization.

A text that has special characters cannot be converted to XML even if it was created by serializing an XML element.

In our case a string contains a special character with the ASCII code 19, placed between the letters i and p.
The simple statement that serializes an XML element works.
select xmlelement(name "street",'i p')::text

When the same text has to be converted back to XML. it fails with an error

select xmlelement(name "street",'i p')::text::xml

The error message is

SQL Error [2200N]: ERROR: invalid XML content
  Detail: line 1: PCDATA invalid Char value 19
<street>i p</street>
         ^
line 1: chunk is not well balanced
<street>i p</street>
                    ^

The expected behaviour would be to successfully parse an XML element that was created and serialized by the same engine.

Best regards,
--
Serghei Ignat