Re: Create a trigger only for certain users - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Ezequiel Luis Pellettieri
Subject Re: Create a trigger only for certain users
Date
List pgsql-sql
Hi! taking the doc example this is what I have done to log only changes done by postgres user:

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION process_emp_audit() RETURNS TRIGGER AS $emp_audit$
    BEGIN
        --
        -- Create a row in emp_audit to reflect the operation performed on emp,
        -- make use of the special variable TG_OP to work out the operation.
        --
IF (current_user) = 'postgres' THEN
IF (TG_OP = 'DELETE') THEN
             INSERT INTO emp_audit SELECT 'D', now(), user, OLD.*;
             RETURN OLD;
         ELSIF (TG_OP = 'UPDATE') THEN
             INSERT INTO emp_audit SELECT 'U', now(), user, NEW.*;
             RETURN NEW;
         ELSIF (TG_OP = 'INSERT') THEN
             INSERT INTO emp_audit SELECT 'I', now(), user, NEW.*;
             RETURN NEW;
         END IF;
END IF;
        RETURN NULL; -- result is ignored since this is an AFTER trigger
    END;
$emp_audit$ LANGUAGE plpgsql;

CREATE TRIGGER emp_audit
AFTER INSERT OR UPDATE OR DELETE ON emp
    FOR EACH ROW EXECUTE PROCEDURE process_emp_audit();

Thank you very much for your help Adrian.
Cheers

Pelle.-

Thank you so very much Adrian for your answer. I'm still in 9.2 but I'll give it a try on 1 and 2 and let you know how it goes.
The main goal for this trigger is to audit activity in certain tables for only 2 users in the database.
Cheers
Pelle.-