Sequence gaps after restart - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Christopher Sumner
Subject Sequence gaps after restart
Date
Re: Sequence gaps after restart
Re: Sequence gaps after restart
List pgsql-general
Hello.

I'm using PostgreSQL v. 10.14 via AWS Aurora Serverless.  Our users recently noticed gaps in the primary ids for many of our tables.  As I understand it, this is due to PostgreSQL effectively caching 32 additional sequence values (hardcoded in sequence.c ) and a 'restart' occurs.  Losing a few sequence values is normal and generally acceptable.  However, this problem seems to be exacerbated by the scaling events of Aurora Serverless as they require restarts of the Postgresql service. I do not allow AWS AS to force the scaling in our environment. When scaling events happen 10's of times per day, the loss is significant.

Are there any plans to fix this issue or otherwise play nicely with Aurora Serverless?

Thanks.

-Chris

This message may be confidential and privileged. Use or disclosure by anyone other than an intended addressee is prohibited. If you received this message in error, please delete it and advise the sender by reply email.