Re: Postgres 13 package on Debian 10 has unmet dependencies - Mailing list pgsql-pkg-debian

From Aaron Pavely
Subject Re: Postgres 13 package on Debian 10 has unmet dependencies
Date
List pgsql-pkg-debian
On Wed, Jun 2, 2021 at 6:47 PM Fernando Hevia <fhevia@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi list.

As the subject states, I am facing an unmet dependency issue with libpq5 while installing Postgres 13 on Debian 10.9. (BTW, same thing happens with PG 12).

I am using postgresql repository:

# cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/pgdg.list
deb http://apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt buster-pgdg main

# apt install postgresql-13 postgresql-client-13
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

 postgresql-client-13 : Depends: libpq5 (>= 13.3) but 11.12-0+deb10u1 is to be installed

When looking for libpq5 available versions only v11.12 is listed.

# apt search libpq5
Sorting... Done
Full Text Search... Done
libpq-dev/stable 11.12-0+deb10u1 amd64
  header files for libpq5 (PostgreSQL library)

libpq5/stable 11.12-0+deb10u1 amd64
  PostgreSQL C client library

libpq5-dbgsym/buster-pgdg 13.3-1.pgdg100+1 amd64
  debug symbols for libpq5

I could get around this by manually installing the correct libpq5 version, but I still wanted to share this issue with the list. Could it be a packaging error?

Thanks,
Fernando.

Looks like there's a cross-over between Debian's own repository and the PGDG repository. I suspect there's differing weights between the priorities for each. What's the result of `apt-cache policy libpq5`?

Aaron