Re: Query runs forever after upgrading to 9.3 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From bricklen
Subject Re: Query runs forever after upgrading to 9.3
Date
List pgsql-general

On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 8:33 AM, Andrus <kobruleht2@hot.ee> wrote:
Hi!
>Could you also post the results of the following query?
>SELECT name, current_setting(name), source
>FROM pg_settings
>WHERE source NOT IN ('default', 'override');
In real server where problem is:

21  shared_buffers             2400MB                 configuration file

What are effective_cache_size and work_mem set to? The defaults? They are good candidates to be increased. effective_cache_size could be set to (for example) 10GB, depending on how much memory gets consumed by the other application(s) running on that server.

The EXPLAIN ANALYZE plan of your query will show if work_mem needs to be increased, as there will be a line saying something like "External merge: disk sort" (or something like that, can't recall the exact message off the top of my head).

In development computer from where explain was posted and problem with copy of database also occurs:

"shared_buffers";"128MB";"configuration file"

You likely want to bump that up closer to 1GB.

> Also, what is the total memory in the server?

In devel computer where tests are performed, 4 GB
Real server  has 16 GB RAM
Real server  is for  Postgres for this database and ASP.NET MVC3 application which uses this same database from postgres.