Re: Streaming Replication - Error on Standby - Mailing list pgsql-general

From bricklen
Subject Re: Streaming Replication - Error on Standby
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 11:25 AM, bobJobS <russelljanusz@yahoo.com> wrote:

To get the standby server to a point, I tool a globals dump and a data dump
of the primary server and build the standby.

Then I executed pg_startbackup, rsync data dir to standby data dir (to catch
any changes made while I was building the standby) and finally
pg_stopbackup... all on the primary.

The steps you are using will not work. You cannot use a pg_dump/pg_dump backup from a master to set up a slave. pg_dump generates a "logical" backup, which is used for recovery not setting up slaves.  A very high-level view of the replication setup:
- put the master in backup mode
- pg_basebackup of the master to the slave (no slave data exists prior to this step)
- take the master out of backup mode