Re: DB Audit - Mailing list pgsql-general

From bricklen
Subject Re: DB Audit
Date
List pgsql-general

On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 6:53 AM, <misspaola@tiscali.it> wrote:

I am using sybase ase as dbms and I would migrate to postgresql, but the absence of a built in DB audit functionality is a show stopper for me.

So I would know if there is a way to get information about DB events like:

server boots

login & logout

table access.

attempt to access particular objects

particular user’s actions.

In addition to what Laurenz has mentioned,by default auditing does not exist, but there are ways to add your own, some of which include:

- https://github.com/2ndQuadrant/audit-trigger
- Create views over your tables which also select a db function to log SELECT access.
Eg.
create or replace view user_details as
select col1, col2, col3, col4, null as audit from some_table
union all select null, null, null, null, audit_function(current_user) as func;

There are probably other options, but I can't think of any off the top of my head at the moment. This question has come up in these lists before and on Stack Overflow, so you might want to search around a bit for other options.