Re: Postgresql upgrade from 8.4 to latest - Mailing list pgsql-general

From AI Rumman
Subject Re: Postgresql upgrade from 8.4 to latest
Date
List pgsql-general
Thanks for good suggestions.

On Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 3:13 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:

On 07/28/2015 01:35 PM, AI Rumman wrote:
But what I read, in-place upgrade has smaller outage, compared to
dump/restore.

Correct, in fact if you do it with the link option, it will be very fast.

But so many articles on having bugs afterwards.
Do you think it is a good idea to use pg_upgrade for critical database
application?

It entirely depends, I have successfully used pg_upgrade many, many times. That is what -c is for, to work out all the kinks before you upgrade.

Or any other tool should I consider? For example - slony?

On at 2.5TB database, you very well be doing a lot more harm than good using a tool such as slony.

JD

--
Command Prompt, Inc. - http://www.commandprompt.com/  503-667-4564