Re: How to detect if a postgresql gin index is bloated - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Muhammad Ikram
Subject Re: How to detect if a postgresql gin index is bloated
Date
List pgsql-admin
Hi Wong,

Could you check the size of the table and Index both and see whether index size is disproportionately larger than the size of the table ? If yes then adopt the smarter way suggested in above response by Laurenz Albe

Regards,
Ikram

On Fri, Jul 26, 2024 at 9:58 AM Laurenz Albe <laurenz.albe@cybertec.at> wrote:
On Thu, 2024-07-25 at 23:01 -0400, Keith Fiske wrote:
> Any more insight on how to use those two options to actually calculate GIN bloat?
> From what I could tell pgstattuple didn't provide anything that could be used.
> I hadn't looked further into the other yet, but if you know how to do that already
> that info would be great.

I don't think that there is anything smarter than to create a new index with the
same definition and see if it is much smaller than the original index...

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

--
Muhammad Ikram