Re: [BUGS] BUG #14645: Can't use psql from within program used by"copy ... from program" script? - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From John Norman
Subject Re: [BUGS] BUG #14645: Can't use psql from within program used by"copy ... from program" script?
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Tom,

PATH issue!

I changed the inner script to source my $HOME/.bash_profile -- all good.

THANKS! I apologize for not checking the obvious.

And also in the category of the obvious: I double-checked the PG log, and now see line 5: psql: command not found

My bad. Sorry to use up your time.

On Sat, May 6, 2017 at 1:28 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
John Norman <john@7fff.com> writes:
> I'm running this all locally on my laptop.
> I checkout stdout and stderr: Nothing.

Hmph ... how are you starting the server exactly?

I now notice that you're running on OS X ... what version of that?
Do you have SIP enabled?  SIP has been known to break stuff like
this; in particular I'm thinking of its habit of silently suppressing
key environment variables like DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH at inopportune times.
If your setup is such that your psql needs that set to start correctly,
that could be a place to look for an explanation.

A related thought is that maybe PATH in the server is different from
what you have interactively, so that it's not finding psql, or finding
the wrong copy.  Specifying a full path to psql in the invoked script
would help narrow that down.

                        regards, tom lane