Re: Cannot take base backup of a master database - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Lukasz Brodziak
Subject Re: Cannot take base backup of a master database
Date
List pgsql-admin
2012/11/5 Terry Khatri <terrykhatri531@gmail.com>:
> Hi
> Thanks for your quick response, new tablespaces were indeed created in that
> folder in the master database but why it should now prevent me from taking a
> basebackup to setup another slave ?
> Thanks

OK, so I've run pg_basebackup on my own server and came to a point
where I got an error saying that the folder where the tablespace was
physically stored in my case (/usr/local/pgsq/tablespacetest) is not
empty. After moving the content to Desktop I was able to perform
pg_basebackup.
Ok just took a quick look at pg_basebackup.c file it appears that it
recreates all directories including those being set as location for
tablespace files (referred by the folder in pg_tblspc folder in your
data directory) I would try pointing the bakup to another drive so
pg_basebakup will be able to create all needed folders without a
problem of them already existing.

Regards
--
Łukasz Brodziak