Protocol Question - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Thomas Heller
Subject Protocol Question
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
Hello,

I wrote a new Postgresql Client in Java to directly talk to the server without the mess that is JDBC.

Anyways, I have a fairly low level Question:

The first 16 bits (well skip the first 40) in every DataRow ('D') packet refer to the number of columns following. Is there any way that this number is different from the number received in the RowDescription ('T')? I only plan to supported the Extended Query flow, so I assume I'll always have RowDescription first.

Currently I use an assert since I assume it always is the same, however I only have tested with a very limited dataset so far.

Just curious if there are possible exceptions? I'd assume not, just sanity checking.

Thanks,
/thomas

PS: Is there some sort of test-suite or dataset I could use to test my client implementation?