Re: Protocol Question - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Thomas Heller
Subject Re: Protocol Question
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
I tried sending P/D/S...B/E/S...E/S... but the second Execute fails because the portal no longer exists.

So I need a BEGIN/COMMIT for a SELECT in order to read in multiple steps?

I can process the data on-the-fly, my motivation for using Execute with a limit was to introduce some kind of control on how fast things travel over the wire. I'm not sure how the backend handles large results sets and clients that can't keep up. Say I have a SELECT that returns 100k rows, after 60k rows the clients into some sort of resource limit. Since the backend just dumps everything on the wire I now have to continue reading and discarding the remaining rows? I doubt I can Close the statement early since the buffers on the backend should be full with more rows to send to the frontend. I don't expect into these kinds of situations very often, just want the client to "do the right thing". If I run into some sort of hard limit I can just terminate the connection since I probably have other things to worry about than reusing a connection.

Anyways, I might be overthinking things. The "standard" flow of P/D/S.../B/E/S is probably the way to go then.

Regards,
/thomas

PS: The whole thing is available at https://github.com/thheller/shadow-pgsql but be warned its very alpha.

On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 12:08 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Thomas Heller <info@zilence.net> writes:
> In an Extended Query Lifecycle, in order to prepare a query I send the
> Commands

> Parse('P') / Describe('D') / Sync('S')

> read 1/t/T/Z then to execute

> Bind('B') / Execute('E') / Flush('H')

This is not a good idea.  You *need* to use Sync to terminate a command
sequence in order to be sure of proper error recovery (because if there's
an error during the Execute, the backend will discard subsequent messages
until it sees Sync).

> If I skip the Flush after Execute I receive no data, if I Execute and Sync
> I receive the the Limit of rows and a ReadyForQuery('Z').

That's probably because you're not wrapping this in a transaction so the
Sync implicitly does a commit, discarding the open portal.  If you want
to read from a portal in multiple steps then you should issue a BEGIN
first and a COMMIT (or ROLLBACK) after you're done.  However, have you
considered just processing the data on-the-fly instead of using a limit?

                        regards, tom lane